THE HOME OF GOLF
The Old Course at St Andrews, also known as the Old Lady or the Grand Old Lady, is considered the oldest golf course. It is a public course over common land in St Andrews, Fife, Scotland and is held in trust by the St Andrews Links Trust under an act of Parliament.
The Old Course at St Andrews is considered by many to be the "home of golf" because the sport was first played on the Links at St Andrews in the early 15th century.
Golf was becoming increasingly popular in Scotland until James II of Scotland banned the game in 1457 because he felt that young men were playing too much golf instead of practising their archery.
The ban was upheld by James III, and remained in force until 1502, when James IV became a golfer himself and removed the ban.
Official timekeeper of St Andrews Links
Rolex stands behind St Andrews Links and other leading institutions in golf, helping to ensure a vivid stage for tomorrow’s generation of golfers. The Swiss watchmaker was the first company to position tournament clocks on major championship golf courses, a tradition dating back to the 1981 Open Championship.
However, Rolex’s association with golf dates back further than this. In 2017, they celebrated 50 years of partnership with the game.
Rolex will be present as Patron of The Open Championship when the 150th edition of this historic Championship is staged at St Andrews from 14–17 July.
Over these years, they have been at the forefront of the evolution of sports sponsorship beginning in golf with the late, great Arnold Palmer. By the mid-1960s ‘The Big Three’ of Palmer, Nicklaus and Player were part of the Rolex family. Icons of the game that share a philosophy of preserving great traditions, embracing innovation and pursuing perfection. A sentiment that resonates deeply here at the Home of Golf. Rolex’s partnership with the finest players has grown over the years with a new guard of Testimonees seeking to add their chapter to golf's illustrious history.
In tandem with their growing player partnerships, Rolex have enjoyed a relationship with St Andrews Links for over 20 years. Born out of a shared goal in achieving peerless quality in the products and services provided, in 2012, the relationship was taken further as Rolex became an Official Partner of the Links.
Looking to the future, we seek to continue combining tradition and innovation through our partnership to ensure the games’ prosperous development here at its home in St Andrews and beyond.
The brand’s relationship with the final men’s Major of the season is one of the most important in its expansive partnership with golf. Rolex clocks have adorned the roster of venues for more than 40 years, having first appeared at Royal St George’s in 1981. Its ties with The R&A, organizer of The Open and also the AIG Women’s Open, were founded on a mutual respect for tradition, integrity and humility.